Effect of accident in well-being of employees
The well-being of the employee in an industrial establishment is affected by accidents and by ill health physical as well as mental. In this section, we shall discuss the need for health workers and health services to be provided by the management to ensure the continuing good health to their employees.
We propose to examine employee health from the following angels-physical health, mental health, noise control, stress management, AIDS, alcoholism, drug abuse, and violence in work place.
CII awards companies on the basis of their wellness programs. L & T, Tata steel, HDFC bank are some of the recipients of the awards.
Physical Health: Ill health of employees results in reduced productivity, high unsafe acts, and increased absenteeism. A health worker, on the hand, produces results opposite to these. In other words, health employees are more productive, more safety conscious, and are more regular to work. The worker who is health is always cheerful, confident looking, and is an invaluable asset to the organization.
- But the physical health of an employee can be adversely affected by several causes as shown in table:
A realization of the advantages which flow from a healthy workforce has impelled many managements to provide health services to their employees, which vary from the simple provision of first-aid equipment to complete medical care. Many progressive organizations maintain well-equipped dispensaries with full-time or part time doctors and full-time compounders. Unlike his/her counterpart of yesteryears, who would take every precaution to protect his horses against diseases but felt that the health of the human worker was his own business, the manager of today is fully aware of the advantages of having of the healthy workforce.
Health services: A typical organization renders the following services to its employees. It may be stated that these services, at best, offer first aids treatment to the victims. For any major ailment, employees are advised to go to ESI or authorized clinics homes.
- Pre-hiring medical check-up for all employees.
- Periodical physical, check-up, of all employees. Regular medical check-up of executives to detect early signs of tension, ulcers, diabetes and the like.
- First-aid treatment following an accident, training in first-aid to all employees.
- Treatment of minor complaints, such as cold, cough, fever and headaches.
- Rehabilitation and job placement of seriously injured workers who have been cured but suffer from some disability.
- Control of occupational health hazards.
- Provision of health sanitary facilities, such as supply of potable water, disposal of waste and effluents; provision of health food; elimination of insects and rodents; provision services; good housekeeping and the like.
- Special examination of eyes, teeth and ears when needed.
- Co-operation with family physicians, local hospital, clinics, as well as with specialists.
- Maternity and child welfare, including, family planning.
- Adequate ventilation, good lighting, tree planting and good residential quarters.
Mental health: In recent year, mental health of employees, particularly that of executives, has engaged the attention of employers. Three reasons may be given for this development. First mental breakdowns are common in modern days because of pressures and tensions, second, mental disturbances of various types result in reduced productivity and lower profits for the organization. Third mental illness takes its toll through alcoholism, a mental health services is generally rendered in the following ways:
- Psychiatric counseling.
- Co-operation and consultation with outside psychiatrists and specialists.
- Education of company personnel in the nature and the importance of mental health.
- Development and maintenance of an effective human relations program.